At Noble House Prepared we are committed to utilising ethical practices across all aspects of our company, from sourcing to delivery.
Across our business we take the environmental impact of what we do very seriously. We recycle as much of our waste as possible and nothing goes to landfill. Through careful management, stock control and ongoing training for our fantastic kitchen team, we have substantially reduced the amount of waste we produce.
Working with our waste management company, this is where our waste goes;
- Glass bottles and jars are delivered to a London- based aggregates company. They wash the glass, crush it, screen it and turn it into a fine material like sand which is used in the building industry.
- Plastic bottles are screened cut into small flakes, washed at a high temperature, melted and turned into pellets which are used to make new bottles.
- Cardboard is recycled into new packaging but is also converted into animal bedding or coffins!
- Food waste is processed and converted to fertilizer, soil conditioner and methane for the grid.
- Our waste cooking oil is converted into bio-diesel.
- Aluminium cans are shredded. Hot air is blown onto the shreds to burn off the paint used to label the cans. The shredded aluminium is then fed into a furnace. Once melted it is fed into a mould to be cast into ‘ingots’ which are sold on to make new cans.
We prioritise using sustainable, recyclable and biodegradable options for all our packaging including delivery and insulation. You can see more details about what packaging we use and how is can be recycled or composted here. [LINK TO ‘OUR PACKAGING STORY’]
It is important for us to focus on sustainable procurement with analysis of the entire life cycle of products and services. Our ethical purchasing ensures that suppliers share our values. We also prioritise using UK meat suppliers where possible as this not only supports local industry but also cuts down on food miles.
- We use fair trade coffee, tea, sugar and bananas as standard. We develop menus with priority given to sourcing from local, artisan and organic food and drink suppliers with sustainability in mind.
- Our fish is sourced through sustainable suppliers and we stipulate that we are only offered MSC certified supplies that are not on the ‘at risk’ register.
- All our beef is sourced from grass-fed cattle and our executive chef visits suppliers seasonally to observe the environmental practices in their farming.
- Our chicken responsibly sourced from a free-range farm in East Anglia.
Sourcing Coffee Ethically:
Working closely with likeminded people, Noble House Coffee’s aim, together with our production partners, is to hero the plantations our coffee comes from.
It is our goal to educate, to support, to share knowledge and to help fund the growth of conscious coffee plantations across the world.
Our mission is transparent and simple:
- We work alongside Farmers to ensure our plantations and their communities are operated in the most organic, sustainable way possible.
- We invest in the education of the community; when the coffee is not certified we pay the Farmers a 10% premium on the market price, giving them a platform to achieve that goal.
- We invest in the growth of Fair Trade; where coffee is certified, we still choose to invest an additional 5% premium to ensure the communities’ continued efforts toward sourcing sustainably.
- We exclusively work with roasteries who reinvest a substantial proportion of their profit back into supporting local people and projects.
- We source products that are environmentally sustainable and do not harm the planet.
We believe this is the most comprehensive, multi-faceted, support package of any wholesaler or coffee supplier in the UK. We do this not only because it is our corporate, social and public responsibility, but because we have a genuine enthusiasm for supporting conscientious coffee.
Through Noble House Coffee, we share our passion for the environment, for the Farmers and for their communities.
And with you, our customers, we share our continued mission to source coffee sustainably, while enjoying the most delicious, premium and meticulously sourced coffees from around the world.
For delivery of all our orders we work with DPD who have a who pride themselves on being the UKs most sustainable delivery company. You can find out more details on their green delivery practices here https://green.dpd.co.uk. All of our deliveries are zero carbon rated.